Sunday, October 20, 2013

Fall Succulent Pumpkins

Happy fall everyone! I have noticed that these cute little succulent pumpkins are becoming a popular thing lately so I thought I would show anyone who doesn't already know how to make them.
First thing you will need to choose your pumpkins. I made two but for you guys I photographed this cute tiny white pumpkin. The reason being that it is adorable.


You will also need sphagnum moss.....


...a glue gun with glue sticks, scissors or garden shears, tweezers, and succulents.


Here are the tiny succulents that I grew from leaf cuttings. I thought they would work perfectly since they are so small and so is my pumpkin. You can buy succulent cuttings in bulk online or just buy some succulent plants at a local greenhouse. Some of you are probably thinking to yourself "A hot glue gun to glue my plants??!!?!?". It sounds bad but it really isn't. They can handle the hot glue without damage and can actually continue to root through the glue. Succulents are amazing. You could use craft glue instead but I prefer the hot glue gun since it dries so fast.



You will take some of your sphagnum moss and glue it to the top of your pumpkin. Mine is completely dry because I didn't know how well glueing wet moss would work.


I only put moss part of the way around the stem on this one because I love the curly little stem and I wanted it to have it's own space. You can put moss all the way around your stem or wherever you want on your pumpkin.


Now you can start glueing your succulents. I just cut them to the size I wanted and put the glue directly onto the stem and stuck it on. This is where the tweezers may come in handy.


Then I glued some more...


And some more till I had all that I wanted.


Here they are, all ready for fall! You can mist them once in a while if you want. The sphagnum moss will hold some of the moisture and give them a place to root. Just make sure they are completely dry between waterings. They should continue to grow for you and every once in a while make sure they get some bright but not direct sunlight. And when the pumpkins start to rot, they can be taken off and replanted them into soil.


This is what I love so much about succulents. They can take having their heads cut off, hot glued to something for a long time, then replanted and the keep going like nothing happened. Simply amazing. If there is anything you guys would like to know how to make or grow when it comes to succulents please comment and I will try my best to make a post about it!
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment