Monday, April 15, 2013

Air plants



A few weeks ago I was shopping online, which translates to "I was looking at plants on etsy". I came across several air plants for sale. I had a few of them a long time ago. I love how they look and also love the idea of a plant that doesn't need dirt to survive. What I did not know when I had them before was that they actually need more then just air to live. I would spray them with a misting bottle every now and then and for some reason they never did survive! Hmmm. But I decided to give them another try. I have learned since then that they like to be watered about 2-3 times a week and I'm learning about how much light they like and where in my apartment they like to live.





Here they are getting a bath because I have also learned that they sometimes like to be submerged in water for a few minutes.This one above is my favorite. A few have already died but hey, trial and error. That's what gardening is, isn't' it? I'm going to learn about fertilizing them soon. I'm not sure if they need that or not. If you know, your input is welcome! 




The pinkish one at the top is a Tillansia Mexico and it is awesome. When I got it, it had flowers on it! I am hoping since it is spring time it will bloom again. If it does I will be sure to snap a few pictures.




I will be working on some cute hangers for them as soon as it's warm enough for them to be outside. I've seen several cute ones on pinterest and I hope to create my own as well. More blogging to come! Happy Gardening!!





2 comments:

  1. I've been taking care of a hand full of Tillandsia plants in my apartment for about a year now, and I have learned a thing or two about their care myself. Mine are doing better the longer I care for them, but that's not saying much since I sure didn't know how to care for them when I first got them!

    Like you, I was under the impression that a few spritzes with the water bottle during the week would be enough, but today I soak my Tillandsias in collected rain water for an hour every three days. That's WAY more than I ever thought they'd need, but I live in Dallas, Texas where it's not often humid (unlike their natural environment.) Not only that, but they live inside my air conditioned home.

    I also use a Bromiliad fertilizer on them once every month, although I've recently decided to start fertilizing them more often since several of them are sprouting little babies. I use Bormiliad fertilizer (20-20-20) but I hear they prefer a fertilizer with a smaller middle number. Please forgive my ignorance. I know the numbers stand for how much of a certain chemical is in it, but I have no idea. I just know that because Tillies have no roots, they can't absorb this one in particular well.

    Anyway, this is what I've learned about mine! I hope yours are still doing well! I'd love to hear an update on how they are doing!

    Oh! One more thing, I killed the flowers on one of my Tillandsias by submerging it completely in water. I'm not sure if yours are still blooming or not, but when they have flowers try not to get the flower wet!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how that is! I live in Colorado and there is no humidity here either. I was recently told that if you get a humidifier for your house you don't even have to water them because they just get it all out of the air. Someday when I can have a room devoted to my plants I will try this since right now I am in an apartment and my husband hates humidity. (One of the reasons he wanted to move to Colorado.)

    I've been looking for a fertilizer to use on mine to! I saw one on etsy.com that was made specifically for airplants but I wasn't really sure if I could rely on it.

    The one's I have left are doing great! I will do an update on them soon. =] Good luck with yours to!!

    ReplyDelete