Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Succulent Wreath Materials

Ok! I am going to do a DIY succulent wreath post for you and since there are several steps and it will be a long post, this will be a separate post to show you what materials you will need. This way I will also be able to tell you some more exact amounts of things as well. Here we go!




  • Potting soil of any kind. I just use the cheapest one at Walmart for right now.  I will suggest to you not to get Miracle Grow because I found out the hard way there is gnat larva in their soil and they will eat your plants roots and kill them. That is my current battle.
  • Bone meal, this helps your plants develop their new roots so they will stay in your wreath when you hang it up. You will only need about 2 spoon fulls so get a small bag.
  • Sphagnum Moss, I bought two bags but it turned out I only needed one. It says it's 432 cubic inches or 7 Liters on my bag. 
  • A wire form for wreath making. Mine was an 18 in. form that I found at Walmart but you can use any size you want. You can find lots of different sizes at Amazon.com.
  • A role of fishing line
  • Scissors
  • Tweezers
  • Masking tape
  • A large bowl
  • A chop stick or bamboo stick 
  • And a giant spoon (if you're like me) or a small shovel



You will also need succulents! In my class we each had 12 but you can have more then that or less. The good thing about succulents is that they multiply. I would suggest, when plant shopping, looking for plants with more then one in each pot or plants that can be divided like that bright green sedum in the middle. I actually ended up not using that purple kalanchoe that's all the way to the left. I decided I am going to take cuttings from it and add smaller pieces of it this summer. It's a little tall to go on my wreath right now. 




If you want, you can go ahead and wrap your fishing wire. I used the masking tape to tape the end of the wire to one end of the stick. I then wrapped A LOT of fishing line onto the chop stick. Once you start wrapping your wreath you wont want to run out because you have to keep tying it and tying it and tying it. It gets annoying. So get way more on the stick then you think you will need. It's best to have more then you need in this case. I taped the other end of the wire after I cut it to keep it wrapped on the stick till I was ready to use it. Well, I think that's all until tomorrow! DIY Succulent Wreath to come! 



Obvious Child by Paul Simon on Grooveshark

No comments:

Post a Comment