Saturday, June 8, 2013

DIY Succulent Bird Feeder

My cousin was in town for a week and during her visit we decided we needed to do a few DIY's for you guys! We hope you like them. These are the things you will need to make a succulent bird feeder like ours.


You will need soil, a bird feeder, sphagnum moss, fishing line, a stick or tweezers, something to scoop dirt, and a bowl of water. If you want, you can add some bonemeal to your soil. (We forgot to!!) You will also need plants that can fit inside those little metal squares on your bird feeder. We chose this large tray of mixed sedum and these little white fuzzy guys that I'm not sure the name of.




The first thing we did was soak a few handfuls of sphagnum moss in water.


We the tied the end of our fishing line to the bottom of our bird feeder.  (We skipped the wrapping the line to a stick part like in my wreath making tutorial because it's actually much easier to just go straight from the role of fishing line!)


Then we found a ladybug in the sedum. (Optional)


And then we began to cover our bird feeder with the sphagnum moss. This part took both of us to do since it's a vertical tube shaped bird feeder. One added moss while the other wrapped with the fishing line.



Once we made it to the top we wrapped it up and down one more time to get any loose pieces secured and tied it off on the top of the bird feeder. Next we filled it up with soil. You can mix some bonemeal into the soil if you want. 




I left about an inch of space at the top since the topper on my bird feeder had a rim that fits inside of it. The next thing we did was divide up some plants small enough to fit through those metal squares.


(We took those pieces apart till they were individual pieces of sedum.)


We then took our chop sticks and started to poke holes into the moss and through the bird feeder and started to stick plants in. I later found that it's almost easier to use tweezers to plant the sedum. You just grab a piece of sedum with the tweezers and stick it right in the moss.




This part takes a long time and I actually have not yet finished it because I have been running low on projects lately so I'm trying to drag it out and enjoy it for a long time. But here's a picture of how much we finished that day!



I hope you enjoy this DIY and make one of your own. Post a link below if you do or if you have your own projects, I'd love to see what you guys are doing to!

Special thanks to my sweet cousin Olivia for being in my blog and helping me out!  I couldn't have done it without you. =] I love you!


1 comment:

  1. Is this for decoration only, or does it have another purpose? It is really cute, but I am looking for things to attract ladybugs to my garden due to my aphid problem. Google brought me to your blog while searching for help and I was just wondering. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete